What Next : What is Second Chance & Further Education?
Second Chance & Further Education
What is Second Chance & Further Education?
Over the past few years a range of programmes have been developed for adults who want to return to education. Adults decide to return to learning for a number of reasons including:
- Perhaps you left school early
- Maybe you never had a chance to do your Junior Certificate or Leaving Certificate
- You may decide that you want to take up a new hobby, learn something new or meet new people
- You might decide that you want to retrain or upskill to improve your employment prospects
- You were recently made unemployed and want to develop your skills
- You are employed in a sector which is declining (e.g. construction).
All you need to do is pick up the phone and call your local Education and Training Board. Please note that FÁS and VEC further education and training activities are now co-ordinated by Education and Training Boards since July 1st 2013.
Where do I find Second chance / Further education courses?
Schools, colleges and community education groups offer a wide variety of daytime, evening, full-time and part-time courses for adult learners. The programmes offer a range of courses helping you to develop a hobby or interest, right through to courses from which a Post Leaving Certificate qualification can be gained.
Last Updated: 28/08/2014 ^ back to top